Ready to Start Collecting World Coins?
Since at least the 1850s, coin collecting has been a popular hobby in the United States. Numismatics, or the study and collection of coins, continues to fascinate many people today. The coins are often beautiful, but the history and value of coins can also be interesting.
If you are considering starting a world coin collection, you should keep a few things in mind. First, you must decide what kind of coins you want to collect. If you’re thinking about starting your own world coin collection, you should know a few things before getting started. In this article, we’ll cover some of the basics of coin collecting and tips on getting started.
What Is Coin Collecting?
Coin collecting is the hobby of amassing coins for their numismatic value. Numismatics is the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money, and medals. A coin collector typically collects coins they find aesthetically pleasing or that hold historical significance. Some collectors focus on specific coin types, such as Gold coins, while others might prefer to collect a certain country’s coinage.
The Benefits of Coin Collecting
Coin collecting can be a rewarding hobby for many reasons. First and foremost, it can be a great way to learn about different cultures and historical periods. As you amass your coin collection, you’ll likely find yourself researching the origins of the coins and their countries of origin. In addition, coin collecting can be a great way to invest your money. While not all coins are valuable, some can be worth significant money. If you take care of your coin collection and store them properly, they will likely increase in value over time.
How Do I Start Collecting World Coins?
The best way to start collecting world coins is to do your research and start small. Begin by familiarizing yourself with the different coin types and denominations worldwide. You can find this information online or in coin-collecting books. Once you understand the different types of coins, you can start narrowing down your focus. Do you want to collect coins from a certain country or era? Do you have a specific coin type that you’re interested in?
Once you’ve decided what kind of coin collection you’d like to build, it’s time to start shopping! World coin dealers are a great resource for finding the coins you need to get started. You can also find world coins for sale online, at coin shows, and through private sellers. When purchasing coins, be sure to buy from a reputable source to ensure you’re getting quality items.
Starting a coin collection can be a fun and rewarding hobby. By doing your research and taking your time, you can build a collection that you can be proud of. Below are a few of the common ways people begin their world coin collections.
- Coins from countries that connect to your familial history. Whether your family’s ancestors are from that specific country, or family currently living there, you have a connection to that country. This can make coin collecting more sentimental and valuable to you.
- Coins from the year of a special event in your life. Buy coins or currency from any country from the year you were born, got married, had a child, or any other significant event in your life that you would like to celebrate.
- Coins from countries that no longer exist. Coins from countries that no longer exist can create a unique look into the past. These coins can be difficult to find but are definitely worth the challenge for coin collectors.
- Coins that all have a similar design. If there happens to be a certain object or animal that you like, or simply a popular coin series such as the American Eagles series and Canadian Maple Leafs, this could be a good basis for a collection.
- Coins that are strangely shaped. While the common shape for a coin is a circle, there are coins produced in other shapes such as diamonds, squares, rectangles, concave, convex, and more. These coins still possess interesting designs to create an unexpected collection.
- Coins from the countries you have personally traveled to and visited. Collecting coins from countries you have traveled will create a collection full of memories and stories to recall for generations to come.
- Coins from each of the seven continents. Like collecting coins from countries you have visited, this can be a very rewarding way to collect coins. For an even bigger challenge, you can even take it a step further and try to acquire a coin from every country on each continent.
- Coins from the Ancient World. These coins are some of the oldest in existence and can provide a great deal of history. Many ancient coin collections focus on a certain region, such as Greece or Rome, while others may focus on a specific time period, such as the Byzantine Empire.
- Coin sets that are already assembled. If you want to expand a set of already collected world coins, there are plenty of options for assembled sets to purchase based on the themes listed here and more!
No matter the theme of your specific world coin collection, the best advice that we can give you is to collect what YOU like. In that way, you will always be proud of your collection and enjoy it. One final tip is that if there are young people in your family involving them in these collections is a great idea. It encourages them to learn about different countries and cultures while helping them understand where we are in the world compared to other countries.
To start your collection today, browse our assortment of coins and currency from around the world.